Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- We use a Reverse Osmosis Water Filtering System in the management office instead of bottled water.
- All of our center’s cardboard is taken to a recycling facility.
- We communicate “Green Tips” to all of our retailers on a weekly memo.
- Light sensors were installed throughout the management office to reduce energy usage.
- Our mall lighting is controlled by an Energy Management System that turns lights on or off based on lighting intensity.